Today, 1st September 2010, is the start of Soul Survivor’s Bible In One Year. Promoted heavily at the summer festivals, this NIV version is a similar format to many other read-in-a-year Bibles with an Old Testament, New Testament and Psalms/Poetry reading each day. The really interesting and exciting thing about this one is the collaborative effort being promised by the new Bible In One Year Blog. From the blurb:
- Take thousands of young people all committed to reading the Bible together
- Add in a brand new arrangement of the Bible, with specific chunks to read each day
- Start on 1 September, when the new school/uni year is getting going
- Kick it off with a bit of explanation about how the Bible works and what it contains
- Mix with online blogs and commentary from Mike Pilavachi, Andy Croft, Ali Martin and more
- Top it up with prayer, good friends, supportive youth leaders â€“ and a lot of help from God.
A number of our young people were keen to purchase a copy and we’ve committed as a group to get stuck in together. The great thing though is that you don’t actually need a ‘Soul Survivor Bible In One Year’ to follow along. The references and notes should be posted on the blog each day, and being a geeky kind of youth worker, I’ve plugged the RSS feed into our youth group’s Facebook page so they’ll get each day’s notes popping up in their News Feed!
While there are many other Bible reading plans and various notes available, it’s great that such a large youth organisation are encouraging young people to read the Bible together.